Eric J. Topol
Cardiologist; Geneticist; Author, The Creative Destruction of Medicine.
on the forefront of the digital
medical technology revolution.
A premier cardiologist, genetic researcher, and technologist, Eric Topol sees the future of health care, and he likes what he sees.
As a leader in the movement to modernize medical treatment through the latest technology, Dr. Topol is creating new, more effective ways to treat patients — ways that will dramatically bring down the costs of health care.
Dr. Topol's new book titled The Creative Destruction of Medicine: How The Digital Revolution Will Create Better Health Care. Itís about how social networking, smartphones and connectivity will change the medical field. Now with powerful new tools to sequence each individualís whole genome, and the unparalleled convergence of technology, we have a new window into what makes us tick, what makes us an individual. Consumers have the unprecedented capacity to take control of their own individual information and revolutionize medicine.
A dynamic and eloquent speaker, Dr. Topol presents fascinating developments in wireless technology that allow physicians to monitor and respond to their patients vital signs from anywhere in the world — all in real time.
Dr. Topolís voluminous medical research has led him to being named "Doctor of the Decade" by the Institute for Scientific Information.
As director of the Scripps Translational Science Institute, he is dedicated to training new generations of physicians and scientists for research based careers — bringing together the latest scientific findings and clinical work for more effective medical research.
Dr. Topol has been named the Most Influential Physician Executive in health care by Modern Healthcare magazine. He was also named one of the twelve "Rock Stars of Science" by GQ.
- Director, Scripps Translational Science Institute
- Professor of Genomics, the Scripps Research Institute
- Co-Founder and Former Vice-Chairman of the Board, West Wireless Health Institute (WWHI), a wireless medicine institute
- Chief Academic Officer, Scripps Health
- Elected to Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- Former Professor of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University
- Founder, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
- BA, University of Virginia
- MD, University of Rochester
Follow Dr. Topol on .