Willem H. Buiter
Professor, London School of Economics. Chief Economist, Citigroup.
on global finance and economic policy.
Willem Buiter offers audiences extraordinary depth of experience and insight into a broad range of macroeconomic issues.
Willem Buiter joined Citigroup Inc as Chief Economist in 2010 and is based in London. He is a senior adviser on global economic issues, as well as head of the investment research team in the creation of world-class economic analysis.
Prevously, Professor Buiter held the Chair in European Political Economy in the European Institute, London School of Economics and Political Science.
He also has held a number of other academic appointments and prestigious positions, including Chief Economist and Special Advisor to the President of the EBRD, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and membership on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee.
Willem is one of Foreign Policy's 2012 and 2009 Top 100 Global Thinkers. He has won numerous awards and received the CBE (Commander of the British Empire) for his ‘services to economics.’
In addition to his position at the London School of Economics, Mr. Buiter was Professor of Economics at the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- He has written six books on international macroeconomics and countless articles in the professional journals and in non-technical publications for a wider public.
Professor Buiter spent many years in the United States at Princeton and Yale Universities and holds dual US-UK citizenship.
Areas of Expertise
The current financial crisis—its causes, its likely course and its cures.
Macroeconomics: overviews of the global economy, national economies and economic sectors around the world.
America through European eyes—and Europe interpreted for Americans.
The economic prospects of emerging markets, especially India, Turkey, South America, Eastern Europe, West Asia and China.
Globalization—its technological and political economy determinants.
Political economy and economic reform.
Public finance & economic policy in all its dimensions—monetary, regulatory, fiscal, social security, and trade.
- Chief Economist, Citigroup, Inc.
- Professor of European Political Economy, European Institute, London School of Economics & Political Science
- Former Professor of Economics, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Invited contributing member, FT Economics Forum
- Advisor to international organizations, national governments and central banks, and private financial institutions
- Former Chief Economist and Special Counsellor to the President, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Member, Monetary Policy Committee, Bank of England
- Professor of International Macroeconomics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK Fellow, Trinity College, Cambridge, UK
- Juan T. Trippe Professor of International Economics, Yale University
Other prestigious academic appointments
- Professor of Economics, Yale University
- Cassel Professor of Economics with Special Reference to Money and Banking, London School of Economics & Political Science
- Professor of Economics, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
- Assistant Professor of Economics and International Affairs, Economics Department and Woordrow Wilson School, Princeton University
- Member, Academic Advisory Board, ABP