Author, The Business of Happiness.
Business Sports Entertainment Philanthropy.
Few people have roots as deep in the computing industry, or knowledge and experience of its history and potential as rich as Ted’s. A pioneer of the Internet and new media and "present at the creation," he participated in launches of the Apple MacIntosh, the IBM PC and Wang office automation. He speaks with extraordinary authority about today’s changing technology landscape.
Ted is the founder, chairman, majority owner and CEO of Monumental Sports & Entertainment, which owns and operates the Washington Capitals (NHL), Washington Wizards (NBA), Washington Mystics (WNBA) and the Verizon Center.
The company was formed in June 2010 and serves a regional sports community of more than six million people and is the only privately held company in a top 10 market to own and operate three professional sports teams and its arena.
Wang WP: (the first word processor) from $200 million to $1 billion with the largest female management team in the country.
NHL’s Washington Capitals: he boosted attendance and revenues through state of- the-art consumer and interactive initiatives.
AOL: the first billion dollar interactive services company and the world’s biggest media company. Ted served as Vice Chairman and President of several business units at AOL.
Redgate Communications Corporation: considered the first new-media marketing company.
Venture Capital Investor
- Mr. Leonsis is now a partner in the newly created "speed-up capital" Revolution Growth Fund II. In a 25-year period he has personally made investments and owned equity in numerous companies.
Filmmaker and Digital Entrepreneur
- Mr. Leonsis created and produced the award-winning film Nanking. The film premiered at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival and was awarded the Documentary Editors Award. The film went on to win the Peabody Award and the Emmy Award. Mr. Leonsis also produced the documentary film Kicking It, which premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and aired on ESPN. He also produced A Fighting Chance, which aired on ESPN in 2010. Mr. Leonsis is the founder, chairman and largest shareholder in SnagFilms, the web’s leading online distribution channel for documentary and independent films.
- Through the Leonsis Foundation, his sports teams, SnagFilms and his family’s personal giving, more than 400 charities were served and supported during the last 12 months. Highlighted charities and causes include Best Buddies, DC Central Kitchen, See Forever Foundation, Venture Philanthropy Partners and many more.
Once the mayor of Orchid, Florida, Ted sits on the boards of Georgetown University and several charities, where he has used the interactive medium to encourage involvement rather than mere financial contributions.
- Vice Chairman, Groupon
- Founder, chairman, majority owner and CEO of Monumental Sports & Entertainment
- Retired Vice Chairman emeritus, AOL
- Businessperson of the Year, Washington Business Journal, 2001
- Member, Board of Directors, Georgetown University
- Majority owner, Washington Capitals
- Minority owner, Washington Wizards
- Founder, Redgate Communications Corporation
- Former mayor, Orchid, Florida
- Board of Governors for the NBA and NHL
- Board of Directors:
- Charity Boards:
DC CAP (District of Columbia College Access Program)
CSF – DC (College Success Foundation – District of Columbia)
Awards and Honors
- Washington Business Man of the Year
- Washingtonian of the Year
- Top 10 Creative Executives in America
- Top 20 Most Powerful People in Sports
- Lowell (Mass.) High School Alumni Hall of Fame
- Georgetown University John Carroll Award